Wednesday 31 August 2011

Slim Fast...

Everyone aspires to do better, be better and be slimmer. Anyone who claims these statements are untrue are either a size 8 and in their dream job or lying. Most probably the latter.

Growing up, especially with me and my sister being born literally a minute apart, I was always able to make comparisons. We were the same age but growing at such different rates. I was the tall, slim one, our Nan even nicknamed me Longers, and I was always able to eat what I wanted, whenever I wanted. Rachel was the short one, and although we were the same clothes size, they effectively looked better on me. This made my head swell and gave me confidence some of my peers lacked, but it's like my metabolism thought just for the shits and giggs to slow right down. Like puberty wasn't bad enough. Playing sports was my only saving grace. Football, athletics, dancing, cheerleading, and then I turned 18. I quit smoking, was of legal age to drink and getting up on a Saturday morning to kick a ball around, whatever the weather, did not appeal to me anymore. BIG mistake. Don't get me wrong, I have never been a size 8, my bottom alone does not allow for such trivial fantasies, but I was a comfortable 10 on top, 12 on bottom, which slowly started to expand.

Uni... It's true what they say, you're destined to put on weight when you decide to broaden your horizons and educate yourself further. Or what was referred to as shitmix Mondays, Wednesday club, and lets drink just because days. Being catered in my first year slowed this process down but I saw it happening to others. I could bounce a coin off my abs, swell head again I know, but karma does have a way of finding you. Working more hours in a restaurant than what was required to be in lectures meant I was constantly picking at food and discovered the pure and utter genius that is garlic mayo.

Size 14... I was borderline, meaning I didn't have the luxury of running into a shop seeing something I liked and buying it. Trying on clothes is a drag, the queues are long, the rooms are small and it means you have less time to spend your money on what you see as a necessity. It also limits your ability to shop online yet this didn't stop me using my student card to get the free burger at Maccies, would be rude not to. The change in mentality came six months after graduating, getting weighed at the doctors and the words noone likes to hear 'you are overweight.' Some people are influenced by celebrities, but it took a medical professional clarifying what I knew all along, that according to my height vs my weight, my bmi was in the overweight catergory.  This was the push that I needed.

Diets... I joined a gym and was conned into paying for the annual membership to save a whole sixty pounds. I went sporadically for the first three months then literally stopped. Sweating with strangers is not appealing.
Cutting out take aways worked for the first few weeks but I did not dare break the pay day chinese ritual. Then there were the diet pills, I had bought some from ebay years ago and they didn't work, then I heard about some random chinese ones from a friend. I tried them, I did not know what was in them, could not read the instructions and still decided to take the risk. The side effects, well, I had constant headaches, and at times thought my heart was going to combust, so I tried the old fashion way of eating breakfast, something I hadn't done in ten years, living off grilled chicken and plain rice, the portion sizes fit for a child. After the initial shock to the system and nearly tearing my weave out everytime I drove passed a McDonald's, it seems to have worked. In the last three months I have been slimming down fast, my bmi is considered normal after losing a stone and a half and I am now back to a size 12. Well done me. The only worry I have now is...

Zante... I go in 8 days, the downside of this is that I still want to lose an extra 10 pounds, which I am aware cannot happen in a week. I am going with model looking friends too, so here come the natural insecurities oozing out of pores I didn't know existed, as I prepare to get into a bikini and strut that extra stuff God thought necessary to give me.



No comments:

Post a Comment