Tuesday 7 February 2012

Hair today, changed tomorrow...

Growing up I did not love my hair... picky head, nappy head, whatever I then called it, my afro just caused me serious bother. It was a pain to wash and style, I had to wear a swimming cap if I dared venture near a pool beacuse god help it if water got near it. Watching Disney movies with princesses with flowing locks who wouldn't want that on their head? As I've grown up I've learnt to appreciate it more, but that just means I've let my friends of other races see my natural hair and wear a headscarf when I sleep out as I no longer feel ashamed, but that's it. Shop bought alllll the way, for the convenience alone. Singles, weave, hair piece, all available for us all to buy but I find black girls take the most advantage of it. This may be because there are shops that are aimed at us. I cannot go into Boots and buy shampoo for my hair, a supermarket will cater for some of my needs if it's in an 'ethnic' area so off to what Americans call a Beauty Supply Store that has everything a black girl could ask for.

So here are some of  my hairstyles throughout the last 4 years, there were plenty more before it but I consider these my 'mature years.'

The canerows....

The relaxed....

The singles...
 

The fringe...
 

The bob...

The middle parting...

What's next? Who knows? I will definitely have dreadlocks when I'm older but for now the choice I have is endless, look at Bey and RiRi. So if I could go back to my 7 year old self and tell me one thing, I'd say 'don't worry lil Rochie, there is a whole world of hair out there, from you buy it, it's yours.' 

No comments:

Post a Comment